Fun Games for ESL Kids Classrooms: Spelling Relay : - How to play This is a game idea you can use for teaching. If you want new ideas, here is one. Read the full instructions below.
- English Lessons for Children - For Parents & Teachers of Kids - We offer Video Tutorials, Games, Worksheets, Powerpoint,Flashcards, Placement Tests - Kizschool.com
- Kids Math Exercises : Math Practice for Kids - Pre-K to 8th Grade.
- ESL Ebook Packs for Kids : Resources You can't afford not to have.
- Math4Children.com: Free Math Worksheets, Math Games, Online Quizzes, Video Lessons and eBooks preschool,1st to 6th grade.
How to Play the ESL Spelling Relay Game
Skills focus: Practice spelling words with this excellent stirrer.
How to Play:
- Separate the classroom board into two or more equal parts by drawing rows and columns. The students will spell words in the rows. In the columns above write team names. (You can create more rows and columns depending on the number of teams.(tip- more than four rows is not advisable).
- Give each team a board marker or chalk depending on the nature of your boards.
- Make an equal line up of first relay runners of each team.
- The teacher then says a word s/he wants the students to spell. Each runner runs to the board and writes the beginning letter of the word. He/she runs back to team members and hands the chalk or board marker to the next runner in the team. Each team takes turns writing a single letter until the word is completely spelled.
- The first team to finish spelling the word correctly scores a point or gets some form of praise.
- This is an exciting game. Relay runners have a tendency to stand up before the marker or chalk is handed to them. Make sure relay runners are not doing similar unfair practices.
- Start with easy words that students can spell
- This is a stirrer and can be physically demanding. Some students might be good at spelling but not good runners. Mix students according to intellectual and physical strengths.
- Generally, in all games of competition, make sure there is a balance of abilities in teams- physical & intellectual.
- Try to help weak teams score points.
- As a general rule, don’t always let one team win thrice in a row. This might discourage the other teams.
- Keep the competitiveness by helping the weak teams in a way the winning teams do not judge unfair. But in the end give every team what they deserve.
- Watch out for students who cannot handle the physical demands of the game. Pause occasionally and give students a few minutes to rest.
- For higher levels don’t just ask them to spell a word. Describe a word and they guess and spell.
- Adapt games according to the situation of your classrooms and students.
- MORE GAMES FOR ESL CLASSROOMS
ESL Fun Interactive Games Teaching & Learning
- Grammar Games - Jeopardy, Hangman, Wheel Games, Snakes and Ladders and more>>>
- Vocabulary Games - memory games, maze games, Snakes and Ladders, Hangman and more>>>
- ESL Online Games Directory - Have Fun Teaching and Learning English with your Students
Free Printable ESL Board and Card Games
- Printable Board Games For ESL Classrooms
- Printable Card Games for the ESL Classrooms
- Make your own games with templates
Free Powerpoint Games For ESL Teaching
- ESL Powerpoint Jeopardy Games
- ESL Powerpoint Olympic Jeopardy Games
- ESL Powerpoint Taboo Games
- Make your own Powerpoint Games from our templates
Free MS WORD & PowerPoint Game Templates - Make your own games
Video Lessons by Unit & Level
Level 1 Course Video Tutorials
Level 2 Course Video Tutorials
Level 3 Course Video Tutorials
Recommended Extra Resources
- ESL Lesson Plan Center : ESL Lesson Plan guide for all TEFL lesson plan needs on the ESL Galaxy.
- Board Games : Teach English grammar, vocabulary and sentence structures using communicative board games
- Grammar Worksheets: teach most common English grammar themes using these printable worksheets
- Vocabulary Worksheets : Well-planned theme-based vocabulary worksheets
- Theme-based Lesson plans: Plan your lessons around a theme by using the worksheets here.
- Pronunciation Lessons: Phonetic worksheets, mp3 downloads and vowel sounds audio book
- Crossword puzzles: A generous offer of free crossword puzzles for grammar and vocabulary practice
- Word Search Puzzles: Find word search puzzles that do more that fills time effectively- Good settlers
- Festivals and Holidays worksheets : Lesson plans based on holidays and festivals-Halloween, Christmas etc.
- Travel English: Teach survival English for students going abroad using these lesson plan materials
- Writing Worksheets and Templates: Practice writing using these cool printables
- Word Formation worksheets: help students improve vocabulary by teaching them prefixes, suffixes and other word formation skills
- Song Worksheets: Learn and teach English with English songs
- Movie Worksheets : Watch movies and learn English using these English film worksheets
- Math4Children.com: Free Math Worksheets, Games, Quizzes, Videos and eBooks for Learning and Teaching Math.
- Kiz School - This site offers English Courses for kids from Preschool, Kindergarten to 6th Grade. You don't have to be a professional teacher to teach kids.
- ESL Kids Lab This site is an extension of English 4 Kids
- ESL Galaxy : Printable worksheets, board games, word search, matching exercises, crosswords, music worksheets, video worksheets and more free stuff for all levels.
- English Media Lab: This free online classroom has a huge database of videos, esl quizzes, grammar exercises, activities for all levels, beginners, elementary, pre-intermediate, intermediate, advanced levels.
- ESL Downloads: Download ESL lesson plan materials and interactive exercises for students
- ESL Games World : ESL Fun Games for Teachers and Students