Fun Games for ESL Kids Classrooms: Get Rich or Die Trying This is a game idea you can use for teaching. If you want new ideas, here is one. Read the full instructions below.
- Phonics Games & Videos Online - Teach Your Child to Read with Phonics - Phonics Games Online, Phonics Worksheets, Phonics Video Tutorials
- English Lessons for Children - For Parents & Teachers of Kids - We offer Video Tutorials, Games, Worksheets, Powerpoint,Flashcards, Placement Tests - Kizschool.com
- Kids Math Exercises : Math Practice for Kids - Pre-K to 8th Grade.
- ESL Ebook Packs for Kids : Resources You can't afford not to have.
- Math4Children.com: Free Math Worksheets, Math Games, Online Quizzes, Video Lessons and eBooks preschool,1st to 6th grade.
Game Ideas for Teaching ESL Kids - Get Rich or Die Trying
This game is played with playing cards, a dice and this game guide(click here to print).
Print the guide and paste it on the wall or where students can see.
Explain the rules to the students. Tell them that the teacher will shuffle the cards in his/her hand and place them up side down. The students will pick a card. if they draw cards with the numbers 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, they get awarded dollar points according to the number.
If they draw a hospital card with the number 6 or 7, that means they can bring back someone from their group to life. If 6, they can bring back one person from their team to life and if 7 they can bring back two people from their team to life. If no one is dead in their team, these cards are of no use.
If they get 8, they role the dice twice and the numbers that show up, represent the amount of dollar points they will get.
If they get a card with the number 9, they get to choose and kill one person from the other team. (That person cannot participate in the game until their team gets lucky to draw a 6 or 7 to bring them back to life.
If they get a card with 10, they kidnap one person from the other team to join theirs.
If they get a J, they kill one from the other team, but the killer has to also die, so the killer kills but also dies.
If they pick out a Q, that person dies until their team draws a 6 or 7.
If they get a card with K, that person who drew has to die with one other person in their team that they choose . Again they may come back to life if a team member draws a 6 or 7.
If they get A, they win 20 dollars.
The first team to kill all members of the other team wins. If by the end of the game or class time, no team has killed all members of the other, the team with the highest amount of dollars wins.
How to put language into the game : You can practice any language skill with this game. You can ask questions before a student picks a card or you can ask them to do something. For high level students I prepare a card with three words and they get to talk non-stop for one minute, using the 3 words as prompts.
Note : sometimes at the start of the game, students may pull out a 6 or 7
POSSIBLE ISSUES : The idea of killing and dying is a taboo in some cultures and in others, it is not politically correct. Remind your students that this is just a fun game and not something for real life. Also know you cultural environment before using this game and any other games.
Game designed by Kris Plasier , TEFL Teacher, China
ESL Fun Interactive Games Teaching & Learning
- Grammar Games - Jeopardy, Hangman, Wheel Games, Snakes and Ladders and more>>>
- Vocabulary Games - memory games, maze games, Snakes and Ladders, Hangman and more>>>
- ESL Online Games Directory - Have Fun Teaching and Learning English with your Students
Free Printable ESL Board and Card Games
- Printable Board Games For ESL Classrooms
- Printable Card Games for the ESL Classrooms
- Make your own games with templates
Free Powerpoint Games For ESL Teaching
- ESL Powerpoint Jeopardy Games
- ESL Powerpoint Olympic Jeopardy Games
- ESL Powerpoint Taboo Games
- Make your own Powerpoint Games from our templates
Free MS WORD & PowerPoint Game Templates - Make your own games
Video Lessons by Unit & Level
Level 1 Course Video Tutorials
Level 2 Course Video Tutorials
Level 3 Course Video Tutorials
Recommended Extra Resources
- ESL Lesson Plan Center : ESL Lesson Plan guide for all TEFL lesson plan needs on the ESL Galaxy.
- Board Games : Teach English grammar, vocabulary and sentence structures using communicative board games
- Grammar Worksheets: teach most common English grammar themes using these printable worksheets
- Vocabulary Worksheets : Well-planned theme-based vocabulary worksheets
- Theme-based Lesson plans: Plan your lessons around a theme by using the worksheets here.
- Pronunciation Lessons: Phonetic worksheets, mp3 downloads and vowel sounds audio book
- Crossword puzzles: A generous offer of free crossword puzzles for grammar and vocabulary practice
- Word Search Puzzles: Find word search puzzles that do more that fills time effectively- Good settlers
- Festivals and Holidays worksheets : Lesson plans based on holidays and festivals-Halloween, Christmas etc.
- Travel English: Teach survival English for students going abroad using these lesson plan materials
- Writing Worksheets and Templates: Practice writing using these cool printables
- Word Formation worksheets: help students improve vocabulary by teaching them prefixes, suffixes and other word formation skills
- Song Worksheets: Learn and teach English with English songs
- Movie Worksheets : Watch movies and learn English using these English film worksheets
- Math4Children.com: Free Math Worksheets, Games, Quizzes, Videos and eBooks for Learning and Teaching Math.
- Kiz School - This site offers English Courses for kids from Preschool, Kindergarten to 6th Grade. You don't have to be a professional teacher to teach kids.
- ESL Kids Lab This site is an extension of English 4 Kids
- ESL Galaxy : Printable worksheets, board games, word search, matching exercises, crosswords, music worksheets, video worksheets and more free stuff for all levels.
- English Media Lab: This free online classroom has a huge database of videos, esl quizzes, grammar exercises, activities for all levels, beginners, elementary, pre-intermediate, intermediate, advanced levels.
- ESL Downloads: Download ESL lesson plan materials and interactive exercises for students
- ESL Games World : ESL Fun Games for Teachers and Students